Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Tactical Tuesday: Tactical Holster

Every Tuesday my blog will feature a tactical item that I feel would be handy for the zombie apocalypse. That being said I've always been a person who tries to follow his own advice - it's kind of pointless to not apply your own ideas, so many of the items on Tactical Tuesday I actually own and you can bet the items I don't own are on my wish list. So without any further intro I present to you the first ever Tactical Tuesday!
Today's featured item is the Black Hawk tactical holster:

I have owned this holster for about three years. It is a must have for your second best friend and which is your side arm. The one I own is a universal holster that will hold any full sized semi-auto pistol. It has a front magazine pouch to store a additional mag. The holster sits on your mid thigh or where ever feels the most comfortable to you and can be easily adjusted. Most tactical holsters have two straps that go around your thigh but some only have one. This particular holster has two straps. The gun in the holster is my Glock 22 (that's the 40 caliber full sized Glock). I can carry my Glock with one mag in the loaded in the gun and a additional mag in the front pouch for a total of 30 bullets in this rig. Not to bad if you ask me! Hopefully that translates into 30 dead zombies if things go south!
This is the magazine in my hand and the magazine pouch is right next to it...



Side view...

COST: I think I purchased this particular holster for around $35 to $45 (sorry, it's been 3 years). There are tons of different tactical holsters out there to choose from. Any good brand is a great choice, Black Hawk is not the only brand out there. Tactical holsters range in price from $35 to $150 and sometimes even higher than that. It's up to you on what you want to spend. When I purchased this item my thoughts were its the best bang for my buck. It's a nice holster that is made out of high quality material that will last but it won't break the bank. Some of the upper end holsters are made of plastic and you have to push a button on the holster (with your trigger finger) to release the gun. If you are going to purchase one of those types of holsters it will have to be gun specific. PROS and CONS Pros: 1. This holster puts your gun in a easy to place to get to. 2. Hip mounted holsters can get caught up in your shirt. This can be even worse if you have a coat or a lot of layers on because of cold weather. I have experienced this for myself while shooting at a out door range in cold weather for work. The tactical holster puts your side arm down on your leg clear of any clothing or snags. 3. The extra mag pouch on the holster gives you additional ammo. 4. There is a reason why all the of military, law enforcement and private sector people use these holsters. Cons: 1. The holster does bulk up your leg making getting into small spaces harder. 2. Having a tactical holster lets everyone around you know you have a pistol, where as having a hip mounted pistol is much more concealable. P.S. To all you revolver lovers out there, keep up the love. I don't have a revolver so I have to do some research on a good holster. If you have any ideas let me know. A revolver is definitely on my wish list. Until next time, thanks for seeing what I see! Jared

1 comment: